Project name: XIRRUS Deployment for the Cheltenham Festival
Time scale of project: 7 Weeks
7 Weeks to deliver a complete site wide wireless solution designed to support 70,000 race goers was the brief. The potential to work with such a prestigious customer as The Jockey Club was an opportunity which could not be turned down. This project required a complete design and build as the existing infrastructure was not capable of supporting the new 10gig back bone required to support the latest Xirrus Wifi equipment and the amount of simultaneous users a sporting event such as the ‘Festival’ would demand. Knowing that the success of the project demanded a smooth cabling installation and deployment of Xirrus kit, every aspect of the design was surveyed in advance so a clear scope of work could be delivered. This coupled with regular progress meetings for the main stake holders allowed us to stay on track in and meet expectations. We were given the green light 7 weeks before the Cheltenham Festival, so now the pressure was on us to make sure we delivered. The installation consisted of the following areas.
- Install a completely new site wide SM OS2 fibre backbone – Installing new underground ducting where required.
- Install 414 x CAT5e data outlet to all internal and external Wifi Locations
- Install 8 new internal comms locations – complete with data and power
- Install 7 new street cabinet locations – complete with power, fibre and data
- Install 200 x Xirrus Arrays in set locations from internal meeting rooms to external front of Grandstand positions
With the tight deadline and the level of work required we managed to complete all of the 15 major areas before the Festival started. Delivering a world class wireless solution for a truly world class event.